- This event has passed.
CPD-Accredited Webinar | Kennedy’s Disease in Indigenous Populations in Canada: Results of a Research Collaboration
June 1 @ 17:00 - 18:30 EDT
Muscular Dystrophy Canada (MDC) and the Neuromuscular Disease Network for Canada (NMD4C) are pleased to invite you to a webinar on Kennedy’s Disease.
This webinar is primarily targeted at Canadian clinicians, academics and trainees with an interest in neuromuscular disease.
NMD4C and MDC are providing organisational and technical support. This is a clinical/academic webinar series supported by Sanofi-Genzyme; There is no involvement and influence from industry on program content.
The NMD Rounds & Educational Webinars is a self-approved group learning activity (Section 1) as defined by the Maintenance of Certification Program of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
- Dr. Kerri Schellenberg: Introduction to SBMA and historical background including existing descriptions in Indigenous population
- Dr. Gerald Pfeffer: Genetic results outlining the founder effect & initial prevalence data
- Drs. Alexandra King & Malcolm King: Importance of community engagement and impact on Indigenous communities
- Discuss the historical context of Kennedy’s Disease in Canada
- Understand the descriptions of Kennedy’s Disease in Indigenous populations in the existing literature
- Review results of a pilot study demonstrating high prevalence and founder effects for SBMA
- Discuss ethical ways of engaging with indigenous people for research & the importance of including the voices of lived experience
If you have any questions, please email <>